Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

I'm More of A Sunshine and Solid Ground Kinda Girl

This past weekend I went to the mountains for a long weekend with some of my best friends. I'm not really a mountain girl, I've never skied in my life (save one traumatic incident when my dad took out all the kids in my lesson when I was six because he couldn't stop) and I'm not a big fan of snow (unless I'm wrapped in cashmere and sipping a hot toddy on a snow day). That being said, the idea of a long weekend with some great people sounded fabulous. So I packed up sweet Baby Civi and head to the mountains after work on Thursday.

Friday morning we hit the slopes (don't I sound like a pro now?). There were three of us who didn't have much experience, so we decided to stick together and snowboard (I've since learned snowboarding is thought of as way harder than skiing). Let me tell you, it was the hardest thing ever. First of all, the board is really heavy. For those who haven't met me, I have abnormally thin arms and legs. That snowboard weighed my legs down like crazy. To start things off you get on the ski lift. Which is terrifying. You have to jump off at exactly the right moment. The first time I went, I barely got off and the chair pushed me about five feet. After you get off the lift, you strap in and head down the mountain.

My group apparently isn't the brightest because we tried an easy level slope BEFORE we tried the bunny level. Needless to say I spent most of the time on my rear end. The times I did get going, I was so petrified that I made myself fall. I went down the slopes two times and then made myself at home at the ski lodge bar. It was so much fun, but I would definitely take a lesson next time.

Complaining about snowboarding aside, it was an amazing weekend. It reminded me how blessed I am to have this group of friends. Most of us have been close since we were in high school and I consider them all my brothers and would do anything for any one of them. This trip reminded me that no matter what happens, our group has a bond that is unbreakable. And for that I am so incredibly grateful.

It's supposed to be 78 here tomorrow! Maybe I'll head to the beach... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment