I always say I'm done with this blog and then months pass and I get the desire to write again. Not for work, not for the groups I'm involved with...just for myself.
It's the Monday after Christmas, so work is a little slow. We've had a really great year this year and I feel so lucky to be able to play such an important role in it all.
Christmas was perfect. Mom and I did our usual EAT ALL THE BAD THINGS dinner which was magical and honestly, I'm still living off of. Eating better starts in the new year. We made a chipotle butter turkey and it was bomb. And dressing. You know dressing holds the key to my heart. I'd marry it if I could. Mostly, though, the night was perfect because it's just one of my favorite times with my mom. We're very lucky to see each other a lot (like 4 or 5 times a week), which is great because she's my favorite person.
Christmas Day was spent at my dad's with that side of the family. Nikki's little boys Reese and Ryder are adorable and bring a new energy to Christmas. Po was looking radiant as usual. Then MG and I did our Christmas, which was low-key and wonderful. I'm a lucky girl in so many ways.
Two semi-big (at least to me) updates in my world.
1. I got a dog in June! Not sure if I ever wrote about that. He actually showed up at a family friend's doorstep and she kept him for a while, but it was a lot with two other dogs. When she heard I was looking, it worked out perfectly. His name is Willie (I thought about changing it, but it suits him now) and he's the most magical dog ever. He's this weird combination of redneck and British in my mind and I'm obsessed with him. He is very wild on a leash (I actually call him Wild or Wild Willie just as much as I call him Willie), but he's so sweet and we are besties.
2. I ran a half marathon! That's probably one of the things I'm most proud of in my life up to this point. I did all of the training (4 runs each week) and finished without any issues on November 1! I wasn't going for time since I'm the slowest person on the planet and really just wanted to cross the line without an ambulance being called, but was actually pretty happy with my 2:17 time. I'm debating another one. I got a little tired of having to run four times a week, but I really enjoyed getting better and the feeling of crossing the finish line was one of the best in my life.
That's all for now. Wishing everyone a very happy New Year!
Tuesday, July 14, 2015
Life is so so short.
A sweet friend's mom passed away today after a battle with early onset Alzheimers. My friend is 27. Her mom is in her 50s. Life can really suck.
But it's also really really beautiful. Over the past six or so years, I've seen my friend go through this. She's always been so full of strength and grace. I spent last week with her at the beach. She knew this time was coming and said she was at peace with it. She's going to miss her mom like crazy, but knows her pain is gone. I admire my friend so much. She never looked for pity, never made this about her and always focused on others, even when her own world was falling apart. I know I could NEVER come close to being as graceful, serving and loving as she has been.
Say a prayer for my friend and her family. Hug your loved ones. Design the life you want to live and live it. Love the heck out of people who mean something to you.
Tuesday, May 5, 2015
Oh, hi! Not gonna lie, I almost forgot I had a blog. Life has been so full and so good that this has just fallen to the wayside. But I miss writing. I write all day for work, but I miss writing just for me. So I'm back. At least, until I'm not again, because let's be honest, we know it's going to happen. I don't know where to start, so here's a list of random things.
- My house is still my favorite thing ever. I just got the yard fenced in and I cried. I've been rambling on about a picket fence since I was like 18 (yeah, I was SUPER popular at parties) and when I got it, I cried. It's perfect and makes my sweet house feel even more like home.
- I just painted my coffee table and I'm obsessed with it. It was actually a big oops moment that turned into a well, it can't get any worse moment which turned into love. It's navy with gold legs which sounds crazy (and it sort of is) but I love it.
- Work is great. Super busy, but great. Being a leader and having real ownership in a business has become such a passion of mine and I'm so happy with where I am and what I'm doing.
- Running and pilates are my jam, as always.
- I don't have any HUGE trips planned for summer, but a few mini vacays I'm excited about. This weekend my mom, her sisters and I are headed to the beach for a long weekend for Mother's Day. It will be lots of sun, sand, wine and margaritas and I cannot wait. In July, MG and I will be guests at a wedding in Duck and we're staying a few extra days. I've never been to the "real" Outer Banks and can't wait!
- I've found that I really love gardening. I built a raised bed and have lettuce, kale, tomatoes, peppers and snap peas. It's so fun to watch everything grow! It makes me want to be really self-sufficient, but I think chickens would drive me crazy and we all know I'm scared of cows.
Okay, that's all for now. Maybe I can actually get my act together and share some pictures soon?