Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2011

I'm a closet nerd.


Okay, okay, maybe not so closet, but not in the way you are thinking.

It's pretty obvious that I'm a nerd in that I love lists, organizing, planning, crafts, the alma mater and Pretty Little Liars.

It's not so obvious that I'm a nerd because I like video games. Not cool ones like Halo or Call of Duty (although, I do like Grand Theft Auto, is that cool?) But seriously dorky ones. Massive online role playing games like World of Warcraft.

Now when I say that I like them, it doesn't really mean that I'm good at them. Actually, I'm awful. But I find the whole concept fascinating. My best friend got me into WOW (get with the lingo, y'all) in college. I fell in love with it because we would sit there for hours, him staring at the computer trying to make it to the elusive level 70 Palladin, me cooking us filet mignons on the George Foreman in his dorm room (pretty sure that was totally against dorm rules, but whatev), us both sipping Icehouses (we were naive and poor and not of age, we took what we could get).

Now that I type that I'm pretty sure that doesn't sound like heaven to most of you. But to me it was. I love wasting days and nights away with that boy, still to this day.

When he transferred colleges, we both had apartments and we were both 21, so I didn't have to cook the filet mignons illegally and we made the switch from Icehouse to my beloved rum and diet coke, but little else changed.

Then graduation and the real world hit. And now I long for those silly video game filled days.

Well, a couple of months ago, said best friend and I pre-ordered the new Star Wars online role-playing game (nerd status, solidified). And oh my goodness y'all, it's now available for download. We sorta, accidently lost the code to download it, but the Help Desk is supposed to call us back today with it. With any luck, we'll have the code soon and will be playing, eating and sipping in just a few short hours.

So my secret's out. I'm a nerd. But if loving laid back times with best friends and good food and drink when the world seems a little more simple makes me a nerd, I never ever ever want to be cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment