Pages

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Life

Several events lately have reminded me of how precious life really is.

My friends were so lucky to make it out alive Saturday night. How someone could value life so little that he thinks money is a reasonable excuse to hurt people or even take their lives is beyond me.

But that's exactly what the people who killed Eve thought. Eve Carson's murder trial is going on right now and more and more details are coming out. They said they killed her because she saw their faces. Why didn't they wear a mask?? The death of an amazing person all for 700 puny dollars. It literally makes me sick.

Eve asked the murderers to pray with her right before she was killed. In her darkest hour, she was able to know what really matters. As I've said before, I didn't know Eve well, but I had the privilege of meeting her a couple of times and the backyards of our houses practically touched. I cry every time I read anything about it. I hate those people for what they did.

My best friend's dad died when he was 17 in early December. This is always a hard time of the year for him. I never knew his dad, but to think about losing a parent at any age, let alone 17, is incredibly hard to fathom.

Freshman year of college my grandmother died. I know that grandparents die, but it was sudden and we had an extremely special relationship. I'm so fortunate in that I know she knew I loved her with every ounce of my body - we just had that sort of bond.

All of these events have served as a huge reminder that life is precious. It can end at any moment. We complain and get caught up in the rush of things, but are you living the life you want? Are you being the kind of person you want to be? Are you telling the people you love how much you love them?

The one thing I really want to get across in this post is to value life. There are awful people in this world who don't. But not all of them are murderers. Some are every day people who hate life and don't appreciate the time we are given. I think at times all of us are even guilty of this. Let's make a conscious effort this December and beyond to value this life and appreciate it for the gift that it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment