Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Chapel Hill Bucket List

Most people know where my heart lies. It lies with delicious food, it lies with stunning clothes, it occasionally lies with cute boys, but more than anything it lies in Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill is my one true love and will have my heart forever. The DTH (the student paper at UNC) recently published a Bucket List of things every UNC student should do before they graduate. I thought it'd be interesting to see how many I've done and if I have any fun stories associated with each. And for the ones I haven't done... I'm getting on them asap. I may have graduated, but in my mind I'll forever be a UNC student.

1. Ride a full circle of the P2P route Done. Several times. Oh heyyy, freshman year.
2. Play in the fountain at Bynum Circle Done.
3. Explore Wilson Library’s Rare Book Collection Done.
4. Get frozen yogurt at Yogurt Pump Obviously. Oreo is the best.
5. Have your picture taken with Rameses Done, despite my fear of mascots.
6. Drink from the Old Well on the first day of classes Done. (The tears are starting to well up)
7. Eat a cheddar-chicken biscuit at Time Out after 2 a.m. Done. You'd never know something that tasted so delicious late night, could be so utterly repulsive in day light.
8. Celebrate Halloween on Franklin Street Done. Four years in a row. Let's see - flapper, Daisy Duke, fairy, lady bug.
9. Pretend to fire the ROTC cannon Don't think I've done this one... can't say I have an overwhelming desire to.
10. Eat lunch at the counter of Sutton’s Drug Store Duh.
11. Go stargazing in Kenan Stadium Yes. :)
12. Pull an all-nighter in the UL If you haven't, you aren't really a UNC Student.
13. Get covered in paint at the Holi celebration on Polk Place Uh... I don't even know what this is.
14. Listen to the Pit Preacher and argue back I'm not sure I argued back, although he did tell me multiple times I was going to hell for wearing shorts.
15. Sunbathe on Polk Place Yes :)
16. Eat breakfast at Ye Olde Waffle Shop Yep.
17. Hula hoop at Weaver Street Market Been to Weaver Street, but never hula hooped.
18. Tweet at a UNC varsity athlete Of course. But even better than tweeting is actually talking to them. Preferably late night at Lucy's.
19. Play a round of golf at the Finley Golf Course Does the driving range count?
20. Play four-square in the Pit Nope.
21. Get ice cream at Maple View Farms in Carrboro Yep.
22. Visit a professor during office hours Of course.
23. Visit the Duke Botanical Gardens No. Do you see the first word in there?
24. See a star show at the Morehead Planetarium Done.
25. Complete a DTH crossword Only every day for four years of my life. Plus Sudoku the last two years.
26. Have a snowball fight on McCorkle Place Yep.
27. Climb the Bell Tower on Senior Day Yep. Tearrrr.
28. Persuade your teacher to hold class outside on a sunny day Oh yes. One benefit of having super liberal teachers.
29. Drink an extra-large coffee at the Daily Grind No. I've been to the Daily Grind several times, but I don't really like coffee.
30. Become a member of Local 506 and see a show Oh hey, freshman year. My friend's band played here several times.
31. Find and eat at the taco truck in Carrboro No. Food trucks didn't get big until after I left.
32. Sit outside Memorial Hall at night and listen to a show over the loudspeakers No, that's weird. I just bought a ticket. Oh Ben Folds, you were amazing.
33. Climb the rock wall in Rams Head No.
34. Hang a hammock and have a picnic in the Arboretum I've been through the Arboretum multiple times, but honestly we called it the Rapeoretum because it was really scary.
35. Run the stairs at Kenan Stadium Yes. Kenan, my love.
36. Watch the sun set from the 8th floor of Davis Library Yes.
37. “Borrow” cutlery and dishes from Lenoir No. I wasn't much of a Lenoir gal since I lived in private dorms the first two years that had a cafeteria and lived off-campus my last two years.
38. Crash a prospective student tour No!? That's rude.
39. Run or walk a 5k on campus for charity Tar Heel Trot, yay! Plan on doing Eve's run soon.
40. Get tickets as a senior to the UNC-Duke game Of course.
41. Dance in a library flash mob Didn't participate, did witness.
42. Walk across the Morehead Planetarium sundial on your way to Franklin Street Yep.
43. Get a letter to the editor and a kvetch published in the DTH No.
44. Attend at least one game for every UNC sports team Wow. As hardcore as I am, I don't think I ever went to a men's lacrosse game. I could be wrong though.
45. See (or participate) in the library streaking during finals Yep.
46. Attend a Zumba class at the SRC or Rams Head Yes, but Absolution is the best class ever.
47. Visit the basketball museum at the Dean Dome Yep.
48. Have a drink and listen to some bluegrass at Fridays on the Front Porch at the Carolina Inn AHHH now I'm really crying. YES.
49. See a movie hosted by CUAB at the Union Yep.
50. Play volleyball at a sand court Yep.
51. Grill some hot dogs at a residence hall grill Done.
52. Sit on the Davie Poplar bench — with someone else Aw this is sweet. I'm sure I have, but I doubt it was cute and romantic.
53. Play racquetball at Fetzer Gym No.
54. Eat a deep-fried candy bar at the State Fair No and this has nothing to do with UNC.
55. Swim some laps in the Bowman Gray pool Nope.
56. Stand on your feet for 24 hours with UNC Dance Marathon No, but donated time and money to it!
57. Paint yourself blue for a football game I've done it for a basketball game (risers, Wake Forest, senior year). I really try to look super cute for football games.
58. Trip on a brick in the Pit More times than I can remember.
59. Get a blue cup from He’s Not Here Of course.
60. Visit Gimghoul Castle at night Yep.
61. Fall asleep in a couch at Graham Memorial I don't know if I've fallen asleep, but I love Graham Memorial. It became my official study spot senior year.
62. Sing “Hark the Sound” and link arms with a stranger at a sporting event Yes. This is one of my favorite feelings ever.
63. Go to Duke’s campus wearing a UNC shirt Yep.
64. Watch a basketball game from the risers at the Dean Dome Yep. Wake Forest. T-Hans. Miss you senior year.
65. Appear in an STV show No.
66. See a movie at the Varsity Theater Yep. I've seen a couple, but I remember seeing Brokeback Mountain there.
67. Pit-sit for a student organization Oh yeah.
68. Go swimming in Jordan Lake Yes, but again, I'm a little confused about how this relates to UNC. I guess for out-of-staters?
69. Take a weekend road trip to see fall foliage in Asheville  See above.
70. Head eastward and lie out on the beach in Wilmington See above.
71. Eat traditional Southern food at Mama Dips Yep. Not my favorite Southern food in CH, but it's one of those things you have to do.
72. Buy flowers from the ladies on Franklin Street Oh yes. Flowers sound like a great idea late night.
73. Check out a book from each of the eight floors of Davis Library I doubt it.
74. Have a hot dog at the season opener at Boshamer Been to season opener, probably didn't have a hot dog.
75. Make a gingerbread house in the Great Hall during finals week No.
76. Climb on the roof of a building on campus Yes. :)
77. Visit the N.C. General Assembly building in Raleigh No?
78. Play basketball in Woollen Gym Did I play basketball in Woollen? Are you kidding me? Four years of intramurals - I think I bruised half of campus with my sharp elbows.
79. Feed a squirrel on campus I had a bad experience with squirrels on campus. One fell out of a tree a mere 3 feet in front of me and broke its neck as I walking to graduation proceedings. Like really??? I think it was telling me not to graduate.
80. Participate in a football tailgate Y'all know this is my favorite thing ever. :)
81. Introduce yourself to Holden Thorp I don't know if Holden and I have met yet. He wasn't there when I was. (Which I'm making sound like it was a hundred years ago - it was less than 3)
82. Work on an election campaign for student government Yep.
83. Memorize the words to James Taylor’s “Carolina In My Mind” Of course!
84. Go to a Clef Hangers concert Oh Clefs, you have a little piece of my heart, too.
85. Sign your friend up for clubs at Fall Fest — without his or her knowledge No, but do remember Fall Fest.
86. Make money by participating in a research study on campus Haha no, but really debated it a few times.
87. Get a parking ticket and appeal it No.
88. Eat cheese fries at Linda’s on Franklin Street Yep.
89. Attend an “I Heart Female Orgasm” lecture No?? I don't even know what this is.
90. Paint a cube in the Pit Yes :)
91. Read an issue of each student publication Many times.
92. Go to a UNC Board of Trustees meeting at the Carolina Inn No.
93. Eat one of everything off the menu at Alpine Bagels Mmm, no need to eat everything. Everything bagel with bacon-scallion cream cheese is where it's at.
94. Go dancing at Players Hahaha. All of my good friends know the story behind this one.
95. Attend a Durham Bulls game and buy a baseball cap Yes, but the best ones are the plastic baseball caps that hold ice cream. :)
96. Peruse the ties for sale at Julian’s on Franklin Love me some Julians.
97. Win an intramural championship T-shirt Sadly, my stellar basketball skills never won me an Intramural shirt.
98. Head to the drive-through window at Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen and order a biscuit Mmm, yes.
99. Take a walk across campus early in the morning before anyone else is awake Yep.
100. Rush Franklin after beating Dook — and run all the way there from the Dean Dome Yes. And even cooler, Rush Franklin after winning the National Championship --- and run all the way there from the Dean Dome.


Now that I'm officially in tears and missing Carolina more than ever, I absolutely cannot wait to be over there for the Dook game Saturday. And since I'm all nostalgic, here are some of my favorite memories from UNC.

My brother tailgating at Spring Lane. I don't think I realized at the time what a big deal it was for my dad to give up his normal tailgate spot and come to my house. I'm very appreciative now. We had some great times there.
Miami football game in Chapel Hill. You can't tell, but this is a picture of them being cocky and dancing to our music. We won the game and they looked silly. This was one of the first big football wins when I was in school.
One of my best friends and I at a Carolina football game. This one particularly stands out because the guy behind us kept calling the other team "Sneaky Creatures" and whispering it in a weird, creepy voice.
My little sister from my sorority who turned into family. One of the best friends I made in college. This was at a Valentine's Cocktail. We always made the events our own. :) 
I always had fun when my friends from home came to Chapel Hill. Here we all are at Spring Lane getting ready to go out for Halloween my Junior Year.
This is my favorite bar in Chapel Hill. It changed its name to P.T.'s, but will forever be Lucy's in my eyes. You will find many references to it on this blog.
This was at one of my best friend's apartments. I spent many hours on that couch, reading magazines with a rum and diet coke, while he played XBox. Those were some of my favorite, quiet moments.
Wine, cheese and pepperoni became a tradition that my little sister turned best friend and I participated in often. I miss those afternoons/evenings more than anything!
Daddy and I in the Dean Dome for my last game as a Carolina student. Tears.
Mom and I before graduation.

My brother and I at graduation in rainy Kenan.

Daddy and I at graduation at Kenan.


Chapel Hill,

Please keep being forever amazing and let's continue this little love affair of ours until the day I die.

Always yours,

Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment