Pages

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Even in the land of exile, Especially in the Land of Exile

I heard the most amazing sermon on Sunday. I'm sort of ashamed to admit this, but sometimes I DVR local church services. Last week I did just that and the particular sermon spoke to me in a very real way. The preacher began by referencing a "Peanuts" cartoon in which Charlie Brown's sister declares that she's "decided to be a better person... but in a few days, of course."

The sermon went on to say how we are always putting off being the best person we can be for "a few days" or "until things are better." It spoke of how we need to happy, joyful, grateful and the best person we can be "even in the land of exile, especially in the land of exile." The preacher said that he added the especially because most of this life is not paradise, we are often in the land of exile.

Goodness, gracious, did this speak to me. There have been some recent hard times and I have used them as an excuse to pout, cry, even be meaner than I would ever like to be. I am someone who prides myself on being kind and I know that I have let my emotions get the best of me recently and have strayed from that. This sermon reminded me that no matter what is going on in my life, I  need to be kind, joyful, pleasant and grateful.

I am so blessed in so many ways - I have a great family who loves me, awesome friends who make me laugh and put things in perspective (never, EVER underestimate the power of a friend who can make you laugh at something about which you've been crying), a job with which I'm absolutely in love - and so much more. I need to remember that, even when times are tough, even in the land of exile, especially in the land of exile!

Lovelovelove.

No comments:

Post a Comment