Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Lent

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent. Are y'all giving up anything for Lent? I don't typically, but I thought I might try this year, or at least a version of it.

My first thought was to give up shopping (which I'm doing). Now, this doesn't include grocery shopping or toiletry shopping, but more specifically addresses my tiny problem that some may call a shopping addiction. I love clothes, specifically dresses. I can't get enough.

Well this got me thinking about the general principle behind it which I think can best be summed up as "overindulging." Do I need more (absolutely precious, make my legs look a mile long) dresses? No. Do I want to indulge in more dresses? Heck, yes.

So this year, I'm also giving up overindulging. Like you know, those Friday nights when you have one too many glasses of wine because 'why not?' or when you eat out because thawing one of the many meals in your freezer would take a whole five minutes (I'm really not bad about this one, but I know lots who are). I'm giving up overindulging and bringing back mindfulness. If I'm going to have a glass of wine, it's going to be at a nice dinner and I'm going to enjoy the heck out of it. If I'm going to eat out, it's going to be a rare occasion for one of my favorite meals and I'm going to savor each bite.

There are people in this world who would be in heaven with half of what we have and we don't even take the time to realize that. It's about time we/I did.

What are y'all giving up?

No comments:

Post a Comment