Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

No Big Deal, Just An Earthquake

Y'all, not 45 minutes ago I was sitting here at my desk finishing up a couple of press releases on college football (yeah, my job is ridiculously awesome) when I hear a shaking noise above my head. Now this is not entirely rare - for some reason people like to walk on the roof above my head (I'm on the second floor in a two story building), so I didn't think much of it.

Well it got louder and shakier and all I could think was 'Goodness, gracious man on the roof! Some of us are trying to do work." But then I noticed my desk was shaking. And the floor was shaking. And then our building was being evacuated.

Either the man on the roof was 500 lbs and training for a marathon.... or we were having an earthquake. I honestly thought it was probably the former - I've never heard of an earthquake in North Carolina, but then I glanced down at my Twitter feed (love you Twitter) as I was walking out of my office. People from Raleigh to NYC were tweeting "Are we having an earthquake?"

And an earthquake we did have indeed - a 5.9 on the Richter Scale in Mineral, Va. We didn't feel the full 5.9 here, but wow, still one of the strangest things I've ever felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment