Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

...It's Not Going to Change Your Life...



As some of you know, I have tried to be better with my money of late. I have a rather sizeable debt to pay back to my parents and I want more than anything for that debt to dwindle down to zero. (Note: I think I'm doing pretty great at this - 450 dollars to each parent in the last two weeks -- thanks tax refund!)

It seems the more I try to be better with my money, the more I find things I want. (In reality, I think this is stemming from a greater sense of self, a clearer idea of my own taste and design style, but that's a whole 'nother post.) For example, the purple post it note on my desk is a list of wants. I realize these are all WANTS. None are close to needs.

Today I was on the elevator and a man was talking about drapes. He said, "Then you go with the regular drapes, not the silk drapes because silk drapes aren't going to change your life."

Well, I don't know what to think about that theory. New Lindsay Phillips flats probably aren't going to change my life, though they could change my business casual wardrobe drastically. A new tv probably won't change my life, but it will make watching Carolina games that much more enjoyable. A wine cooler isn't going to change my life, but it will ensure my wine is the perfect temperature when I get home at 5:00 on a Friday.

Yet, his point does have some merit. The Ray-bans on my list... probably won't change my life, or my wardrobe, or my level of sun protection. With that theory in mind, I bought some cheap, tortoise shell aviators from Target today.

In the end, I think the man's point is a good one, but shouldn't be used to extremes. After all, if my new flats with interchangable decor can go from work to dinner to drinks... can you really argue that they won't change my life?? I think not....

No comments:

Post a Comment